If you have collection materials you wish to donate to the OHS, we ask that you contact these staff members before bringing or sending items to the OHS building:
For museum artifacts (such as clothing items, furniture, dishes, dolls, quilts) please contact:
Kim Buergel, Registrar
For library materials (such as letters, books, photographs, film, or maps), please contact:
Shawna Gandy, Library Director
- Due to the ongoing major renovation of our research library, we are unable to accept donations to the library’s collection at this time but appreciate hearing from you. Please be patient, as it may take a while for us to return your call or email.
- Out of consideration for the health and safety of OHS staff during the pandemic, we are not accepting donation drop offs at our downtown facility, or setting up appointments to review potential donations to the library collection in person.
- If you have materials previously authorized for donation to the library, please do not bring them to OHS; instead, contact the library director for instructions.
- We are not able to accommodate drop-in visitors.
- The library no longer accepts postcards, daily newspapers (such as the Oregonian or Oregon Journal), or published family histories.
For more information regarding materials donation, please click the links below to see our two donation guides and collections policy:
We greatly appreciate your interest in contributing to our collections. We look forward to speaking with you about the materials you wish to donate.
Personal Collection Care
Do you have your own collection of historic artifacts, manuscripts, photographs, books, or films? The Oregon Historical Society has some hints for preserving these items, including:
- Saving Yesterday for Tomorrow (pdf)
- Conservation and Storage Supplies (pdf)
- Appraisers and Conservators (pdf)
- Caring for Clothing and Quilts (pdf)