One of its most popular shows was the “Hoot Owls,” a variety show broadcast to over a million listeners. On April 5, 1972, the Oregonian published remembrances from former employees to celebrate KGW’s fiftieth anniversary. Stephen Gaylord, a member of the Hoot Owls, recalled stories about his former colleagues and how each show included “singing and jokes of the current.”
The above undated photograph shows the KGW broadcasting studio. Andy Anders, a radio station engineer during the 1920s, describes the broadcasting process: “There were two studios with a small booth between, where we announcers sat before a dome-shaped contraption, slotted. By moving what we called ‘The cheese knife’ from one slot to another, we turned the mikes on from booth to studios.” KGW was located in the Oregonian building until 1943, and the station was sold in 1953.
— Matthew Cowan, OHS Moving Images and Photography Archivist