From Solo Practices to Medical Groups
In Portland during the early twentieth century, most physicians were generalists who ran solo practices and typically saw patients in their homes or in hospitals. The rise of multi-specialty medical groups moved health care to private clinics, where patients could see a range of specialists. In 1910, internist Noble Wiley Jones, MD, approached surgeon Robert Coffey, MD, and internist Charles Sears, MD, about starting such a group. They agreed and invited surgeon Thomas Joyce, MD. The group established a practice in 1913, but their work was paused when Drs. Jones, Joyce, and Sears joined the military during World War I.
Jones, Joyce, Kistner, Selling, and McCool
While the first physicians’ group dissolved after the war, Jones and Joyce continued to work together to create a multi-specialty medical group. They invited internist and neurologist Laurence Selling, MD, to join their practice. He agreed to join if his colleague Frank Kistner, MD, an otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat specialist), could join as well. Kistner accepted the invitation on the condition that Joseph McCool, MD, an ophthalmologist who shared offices with him, could join the group. The five physicians began their practice on June 1, 1921. McCool withdrew from the practice a year later.
The Portland Clinic
For the first few years, the clinic had many names. Joyce’s patients began referring to it simply as the Joyce Clinic. Others referred to it as the Selling Clinic, the Jones Clinic, or the Kistner Clinic, depending on which doctor provided their care. The group became The Portland Clinic in 1928.
The founders originally maintained separate offices, but in 1923, they moved into a suite in the Stevens Building. The practice quickly outgrew that space and in 1926 moved into the newly built Mayer Building. There the clinic expanded, bringing in new providers and services. The clinic would occupy the top two floors for the next twenty years.
Thanks to The Portland Clinic Sponsors and Community Supporters
In commemoration of their 100th anniversary, The Portland Clinic would like to thank the following sponsors and community supporters for their major gifts to The Portland Clinic Foundation in honor of this landmark occasion: Regence; RWN Foundation; Dick and Liz Clark; Legacy Health; Northwest Permanente, P.C., Physicians and Surgeons; The Partners Group; Schommer & Sons Construction; and Stoel Rives, LLP.