Located on Clackamas Boulevard, the area around the tree has been the site of many events. Local Indians had a racetrack next to the tree. Peter Rinearson, whose donation land claim included the tree, used the track to train his racehorses. In 1861, the first Oregon State Fair was held on the site with the racetrack serving as the parade ring and the Pow Wow Tree standing at the fair’s entrance.
In 1979, the Pow Wow Tree was named as a Bicentennial Tree (alive at the time of the American Revolution). In 2004, it became an Oregon Heritage Tree. The Pow Wow Tree is as seventy feet tall, spreading eighty feet wide, with a trunk circumference of seven feet. The tree was damaged in an ice storm in 2004, but determined efforts by the city have preserved the tree. It still stands on Clackamas Blvd., between Bellevue Avenue and Beatrice Avenue.